Monday, December 6, 2010

Sami Claus and the Giant Grittibanz

 Danae was at her best friend Tyler's house for 2 nights so it was just me and the boys :)
This is right before I say "Rudy, Alien vs.Predator is not appropriate for children. No really, it's not appropriate for children Rudy. You need to turn it off. How did do you think that's ok?"
 On Sunday I realized (in a panic) that we needed to do our Sami Claus a day early because Rudy had to work late (cough, extremely late, cough, again) and would miss out on the fun if we didn't. Thank goodness I like to be prepared and had all the goodies for the bags ready.
Rudy is the resident baker at our house, so he was in charge of the Grittibanz. Danae was in charge of playing with the flour and tasting the dough. Oh, and posing for the photos.
My Schweizer friends will notice the Tip Topf on the counter.
 Rudy said that he was only making one portion of bread, and that it would only make one Grittibanz. I said I thought it would make 4. The compromise was that with my half of the dough I could try to have enough to make 2. We had such a good laugh when Rudy took them out of the oven and the ones Danae and I made were all cute and lovely, and Rudy's was a freaking gigantor. Named Bubba.
 With one eye, and three teeth.
Guess which one I made???
Danae, as usual, had to make hers anatomically correct. I, as a good mother, picked off the raisin vagina and explained that there are other ways to let people know this one was a girl. Like giving her a skirt.
 Dre getting a head start. Rudy trying to figure out what Gigantor would like for dinner.
 The Sami Claus bags.
Dre has turned into a social little guy. In the last week he has learned to peel his own orange, shell his own peanuts, and make his own coffee. I taught him NONE of this. But it is very handy at this time of the year.
 I have been having daily issues with Dre having tantrums, so today when he twirled around and threw himself on the floor I said "That's it, I've had enough. I'm putting you in my grocery bag."
The tantrum magically disappeared :)

At Danae's Buurehof spielgruppe today they had special visitors. Danae told me that she wasn't afraid of Sami Claus and that he let her ring the bell. And she said that she is a nice girl and Smoochie (Schmutzli) didn't give her cold (coal). A step forward from last year when she wouldn't get within 10 feet of either.
Today I made Zimtsterne (translation: cinnamon stars) with Danae during Dre's nap. I am finding it very nice to have some time to do things with just her now that nap time.
The kids both had a bath in the middle of the afternoon today. This is not normal. I was finishing up the cookies and the kids were painting. Then Danae says "Mommy, I want to do face painting." and I reply "No Danae, no face painting." Danae "But Dre already did my arm."
Rudy is home, I'm going.
Tchuss.

4 comments:

Chris Eigenheer said...

I LOVE AvP! that is an awesome show and if the kids aren't supposed to watch it they'll just have to go play somewhere else! THERE, tell rudy i'm with him on that! it's too funny how you're starting to talk swiss now, i miss the good old swiss-land! oh, did you notice how the grittibaenz to the very right looks like larry the cucumber? Maybe that was the real inspiration? anyways, i love getting your updates. tell everyone i said hi! love, chris

mel said...

no worries, i will smuck chris for ya. that is so something he would do...

i am impressed with your bread. i don't do breads or actually i don't do yeast, it scares me!

our nuts are all gone, i ate allmine, then nates and chris hid his in his room...i love my swissness christmas bag :)

i am also impressed with ru's kitchen duties. i won't let chris bake, too much work for me. chris bakes, makes a mess and "cleans" it up....then i clean his cleaning up...see to much work!


now, what is this talk about surgery?

Ursi said...

Sarah, so happy to see another post so soon ;) Very impressed that you decided to take on the Santa bags (maybe I'm lazy but I still like getting ours from Muetti)
Katie has been helping with with Christmas baking too (Anis chrabeli, Mailenderli and shortbread) I took a big platter of cookies to our german volunteers (17 of them have their winter retreat here). The cookies disappeared in less than 15 min so I spent this morning baking 4 more batches. Both girls are down for their naps so I get some peace and quite. maybe I'll take a nap too.

Unknown said...

@Chris: AvP will be what they call Rudy's and my next fight about children watching inappropriate tv. AND you've seen our place, where exactly is he supposed to send them???
@Mel: the rewards of the bread are worth cleaning up the cleaning up.
@Ursi: Last year Muetti sent our empty bags to me and a list. Baton passed. Although I wasn't brave enough to make Andre his own this year so he was SAndre and I didn't have one.

Ok, the word verification is "flucknut", that makes me laugh.