Monday, May 10, 2010

The Naughty Balloon

Ok, so I'll start by saying "Hi! It's been awhile!"

The weather has been nice and I feel no guilt about ditching my computer for my garden!

Now, for a quick story.

The Naughty Balloon.

On Saturday we went to the Fruhlingsmart (spring market for the non-Swissers) in Kleinandelfingen.
We walked around for a little while, we had Spiessli (meat on a stick) and of course we got Naenae a balloon.
A pink one.
Of course.
We told her it had to stay on her wrist or it would fly away.
She didn't like this but did it anyway.
Until we got home.
I was already in the house when I heard her doing her heartbreakingly loud cry in the car.
I knew.
On the way out of the car she took the balloon off her wrist and let it go.
And she loved that balloon.
and then:
Naenae: "Daddy, it didn't even ask, it just left."
              "Daddy go get it."
Rudy: "Sweetie, I can't reach it."
Naenae: "Get an airplane Daddy, then you can get it."
Rudy: "I don't have an airplane, Sweetie"
Naenae: "Go to the airport Daddy"
Rudy: "I'm sorry Sweetie, I can't."

After this heartbreaker Rudy finds Naenae on our patio flapping her arms (still upset).
Naenae: "Daddy, I can't fly. I don't have wings."

Now I come out to see her. She's still crying.
Naenae: "My balloon is gone"
Me: " I know Sweetie. Balloons are a little bit naughty. If you don't keep a good hold of them they just wiggle out of your hand and fly away." (Balloons and small children are quite alike)
Naenae: "If I had a bird, the bird could get it."
Me: "You're right, if you had a bird the bird could get it. But we don't Honey."

I think that Naenae has learned a hard lesson.
Rudy and I have learned that our three year old girl is an amazing problem solver!
She was still upset about that balloon 6 hours later.
All we could do was promise her the next time there was balloons that we would get her one.
And we will!

2 comments:

Cheri said...

Glad you're back. I love your Naenae stories. :-)

mel said...

you blogged! welcome back. must i kick your butt weekly to remind you to blog? one day, when you are old and forgetful you will thank me for doing it....blogging great stories like this one...will be a great way to show the kids what was going on when they were wee and besides, grandparents eat this stuff up :)